It’s impossible to list here all the raw materials we offer, we’ll just mention the various categories and sub-categories: antioxidants and preservatives, unscented lotion bases, unscented soap bases, essential oils, exfoliants, glycerin, aloe, humectants, emollients, lanolin, menthol crystals, carrier oils, fixed oils, clays, herbs, salts, sugars, solubilizers and thickeners. We offer over 1200 products.
CAMDEN-GREY ESSENTIAL OILS, INC. HAZARDOUS CHEMICAL LIABILITY RELEASE NOTICE
Before purchasing Sodium Hydroxide (Lye/NaOH) from Camden-Grey Essential Oils, Inc. you must read the information which follows thoroughly. By proceeding with your purchase you confirm that you have become familiar with this information and that you will take the appropriate steps to protect yourself and others in your household or place of business from the dangers of using and storing this product. If you require an MSDS for this product, please download and print it directly from our site.
IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY PROVIDED A COMPLETED LYE FORM based on our previous requirements, you must still agree to what appears in this section. Paper forms are no longer required and this new process will greatly simplify the ordering of lye on our site for everyone.
As a purchaser of lye you agree and understand the following:
1) I understand that Sodium Hydroxide (Lye/NaOH) is a hazardous material and has the potential to create a highly reactive chemical reaction and that it may be dangerous or harmful if misused.
2) I am not purchasing this item for any illegal use or purpose. I certify that I am at least 18 years of age and will use this product in a manner that complies with all local, state, and federal laws.
3) Should litigation arise from the use or misuse of this product, you agree to hold harmless Camden-Grey Essential Oils, Inc., its agents and suppliers.
4) This Chemical Liability Release Notice will be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Florida, without giving effect to its conflict of laws provisions of the actual state or country where the product was used. All parties agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
5) I understand that I am purchasing and using this chemical at my own risk. While using this chemical I may encounter unavoidable risks or hazards where injuries may occur. I agree to release, hold harmless and indemnify Camden-Grey Essential Oils, Inc. and its agents from any liability for injury or damage that may occur in connection with my use of this chemical. I intend this release and indemnification to be effective, regardless of the type of legal recovery theory that may be chosen. I will make no claim or legal action against Camden-Grey Essential Oils, Inc. or its agents arising out of my use or misuse of chemicals purchased from Camden-Grey Essential Oils, Inc..
6) I have read this release and know that the chemical I am purchasing is a hazardous, dangerous chemical. I will read the MSDS provided on the Camden-Grey site before using this chemical. By proceeding to purchase this chemical at camdengrey.com I am agreeing to the terms of this agreement, which means I will not hold Camden-Grey liable for any misuse of any chemical or product Camden-Grey has sold or provided to me.
PROCESSING TIME: Containers of lye are prepared by us twice a week and the stock is replenished only on those two days. If your order contains other products besides lye and we find that our current stocks of lye are depleted when your products are ready to ship, the box containing lye may ship a couple of days later once stock is replenished. If the only item in your order is lye, we will ship as promptly as possible based on current stock.
Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) NaOH, UN#1823, Packing Group II, Class 8. This is 99.9% soap grade for making bar soap. Synonyms: Caustic soda, sodium hydrate, lye, white caustic, soda lye, ascarite. CAS #1310-73-2. INCI: Sodium hydroxide.
All orders for sodium hydroxide or must be placed on our website, we cannot accept orders for this product by phone or fax.
We will only ship these products via ground (truck) service within the continental US. This means we cannot ship to territories or possessions such as Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands or APOs. Please do not select "air" shipping options for these products. Lye will always ship by themselves and not with other products.
We have chosen to pack these products in individual 2 lb. sturdy containers which meet DOT shipping guidelines and which will save you hazmat fees of $20+ per shipment on shipments heavier than 2 lbs.. You may purchase up to thirty 2 lb. containers to be shipped ground per box, no more than thirty 2 lb. containers may be placed inside one shipping box.
The 55 lb. size is only available to customers who pick up the product at our warehouse, we cannot ship this size, please don't purchase this size if we're to ship to you. This product clearly indicates it's for local pick up only. If you order this size and you have no intention of picking it up, you'll have to select other sizes of lye/potash to replace the 55# size. We do not accept cancellations.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE TO SELL SODIUM HYDROXIDE TO ANYONE AT ANY TIME.
Regarding sodium hydroxide, hereafter referred to as lye:
If it's soap, it has lye in it. Lye is what induces saponification to create soap. While many new soapmakers may be terrified of using lye for making soap, it's the primary ingredient in this wonderful product. Several precautions must be taken when handling, storing and using lye along with lots of common sense. The definition of an accident is "something going wrong unexpectedly" and so many things can go wrong when someone's not paying attention.
STORAGE: Please store away from children, the mentally challenged, the elderly and pets. Store in a properly marked container indicating that a dangerous material is stored inside the container. Do not store lye, either in its dry or liquid form, in a container where a person or a pet might mistake it for food, i.e. storing a lye solution in a soda bottle, storing lye flakes in a Tupperware container. Please keep lye away from water, flammable liquids, water heaters and stoves. You and you alone are going to be responsible for any accidents arising from the improper storage of this dangerous product.
HANDLING: Unless you have had many years of experience working with lye and know what you?re doing, you should use a dust mask, goggles with full eye coverage and chemical-proof gloves or nitrile disposable gloves. Also recommended are long pants, long sleeves, socks, shoes, and try to have as much skin covered up as possible. Announce to the rest of your family that you will be handling a dangerous chemical for the next hour or so and ask them to stay away from your work area. If pets or children may pose a distraction to you, work on your soapmaking once they're out of the way.....outside, in school, sleeping, at grandma's. You and you alone are going to be responsible for any accidents arising from the improper handling of this dangerous product.
TRANSPORTING: It's not recommended that you drive around with a container of lye in your car. If you must transport lye, most of all a large quantity such as a 55 lb. bag, it must be transported in an enclosed vehicle....no open truck beds, no motorcycles or bicycles.
USAGE: We're pleased to post this text created by Ela Heyn McAdams, a well known and respected soap and toiletry maker and teacher. Ela runs our forums, The Essential Oils Forums. If you haven't yet subscribed, please do so by going to our Home page, clicking on the Forums link and subscribing to Service. You will learn a lot once you join our community and you will be able to exchange ideas with other toiletry and soapmakers. Our Forums provide an extensive library of recipes, labeling regulations and other information which affects toiletrymakers.
If you'd like to learn more about how to make soap and other toiletries, please join our forum.